Fanshop Tickets
Fanshop Tickets
First Team

Frustrating loss for Feyenoord in Arnhem

Feyenoord left Arnhem frustrated on Sunday after suffering a 2-1 defeat against Vitesse. Arne Slot’s side came out second best in a dogfight that lasted no fewer than 105 minutes due to a series of stoppages. Marcos Senesi was also forced off with an injury on the half-hour mark.

Feyenoord were looking to get a good result at Stadium Gelredome to consolidate their fine start to the season ahead of the latest international break.

But despite all those good intentions, Feyenoord didn’t start well and only had themselves to blame when they went behind. Lois Openda dispossessed Senesi and rounded Justin Bijlow to give the hosts the lead. Unfortunately, the Argentinian was also injured in the process, and he was forced to call it a day within the half-hour.

Vitesse clearly had the upper hand and looked likely to extend their lead, but it was Feyenoord that unexpectedly grabbed the next goal of the game. Marcus Pedersen put in a left-footed cross from the right that Guus Til met with his head to net his sixth Eredivisie goal of the season.

The hosts were clearly stung and they quickly regained the lead within just 27 seconds after the break. It was a goal that Feyenoord had only itself to blame for – the central defence looked particularly shaky – and it left them chasing the game. Vitesse, meanwhile, focused on protecting their lead, looking to disrupt the rhythm of the game whenever possible. With so many stops and starts, referee Serdar Gözübüyük had no alternative but to add on 10 minutes after the regulation 90.

In the end, injury time actually ran to 15 minutes, as Vitesse’s Matús Bero and Thomas Buitink both earned themselves a red card. That’s didn’t really give Feyenoord much of an advantage, as the football had all but stopped by then. It was a frustrating end to a frustrating game after such a good run, all the more so as the Eredivisie now shuts down for the international break.

  • #vitfey